Time Trial &
At Westbrook Cycles, we stock and supply an excellent range of Triathlon Bikes, which we supply to customers competing at all different levels of Triathlons. Triathlons are one of the ultimate forms of sport & exercise, ideal for people who do not consider one form of exercise/sport to be enough!
The biking section of a Triathlon is quite rightly the most important, with 60% of a triathlon being spent in the saddle. To make the most of this massive weighting, a range of triathlon specific bikes have been designed by the world’s leading bike brands, giving customers of ours the competitive edge. As well as being designed for maximum performance, some Triathlon Bikes also need to adhere to UCI regulations if it is to be raced.
Some of the regulations include:
- Triangular shape frame with no greater than a 3:1 tube profile ration. The tube cannot be three times deeper than it is wide.
- Triathlon Bikes cannot be lighter than 6.8kg.
- Saddles must measure between 24-30cm and need to be 5cm behind the vertical line of the bottom bracket. Seat angle can be no greater than +/- 9 degrees.
- No additional fairings or material allowed to make the bike more aerodynamic
- No modifications made to the frame
- TT extensions cannot extend further than 75cm from the vertical line of the bottom bracket spindle
Although the above regulations apply to UCI Regulations, most Triathlon events are not bound by these rules and standards - so designers of these bikes have plenty of freedom to push the boundaries of design. Typically, whatever can be hidden in the frame will be hidden - such as brakes and cables. The frames of these bikes also have been designed to limit the front area of contact with wind, reducing drag. Some frames even have internal water storage to avoid water bottles being mounted externally off the frame. Giant has an ‘Aerovault’ system which stores water and hydration products internally, without sacrificing any aerodynamic performance.
As well as being true speed machines, it’s also important that Triathlon bikes provide plenty of comfort - so these are amongst the most adjustable bikes on the market. You can view the complete range of Triathlon Bikes here, and if you have any questions about the collection - please do get in touch and we will be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have.